Saturday, July 29, 2023

Tech: Facebook Blackout Fridays

There is something that I’ve started doing and will be doing for quite some time. But you should first be warned that this blog post will contain a lot of information in it about my facebook habits that are subject to whims as of late. While many things can happen and change with it, I’ll explain the main point of this while getting into others as well.

 

What is facebook blackout Fridays? Basically, facebook told me about it themselves after one of my friends on facebook posted about it and facebook’s algorithms let me see this status. Liberals that are annoyed about the pro-conservative content on facebook would refuse to get on the site on any and every Friday as a result. When I learned about this, some of my habits changed.

 

I did not originally give up facebook on Fridays. But my habits on facebook on Fridays changed. I could now skip any and all Fridays without consequence as normally missing one of my regular facebook days meant that I would have to wait until the next get on facebook day to get on facebook again. I could also even miss a get on facebook day and get on the next regular day should I know when it is. (For those of you that are confused, I have set dates on my phone as to when I normally have to be on facebook, but I can miss those and just wait until the next one. These changes from year to year.)

 

The other previous Friday facebook habit other than that was that I started posting 7 Daily Kos articles every Friday I was on facebook. This later changed to 8 and then became 9. I would also check memories on every Friday I was on facebook. But I don’t get on facebook on Fridays anymore.

 

Since facebook decided to let the insurrectionist, namely Trump, back on their site, I don’t get on facebook on Fridays anymore. How does this affect things? Well, Daily Kos has been scaled back to 4 posts on Tuesdays. I do facebook memories still, but it was scaled back. It was so scaled back and I was not on it enough that facebook forces it upon me on some other random days and I always check it. I also can get on facebook on any Saturday after a get on facebook Saturday known now as any anytime Saturday. I had anytime Sundays which were any and all Sundays regardless of it they were facebook days or not. If they weren’t, I could get on memories then.

 

Basically, any get on facebook Saturday and get on facebook Sunday were the ones where I checked memories on facebook nowadays. When I missed a get on facebook Saturday earlier this year, this meant that I could now check memories on any Monday that I was on facebook. This could yet happen with Tuesdays as well, but we’ll see.

 

I will also now be giving up facebook at times which will and could be sporadic depending on how often I see Trump content or other reasons that I just don’t want to be on. It would also depend on just how much it is. I saw a friend indirectly do Trump content in pictures they posted so that wasn’t as bad as it could be. If it is worse, that is problematic, but hasn’t happened yet. It wasn’t something by Trump himself, which I could have already blocked.

 

One of the reasons that I don’t even know how long I’ll be gone from facebook each time is due to how I have updates in my groups scheduled into the future. Thus, when the updates are close to running out, I’ll have to get back on.

 

Speaking of my facebook groups, it should be pointed out that in my political facebook group that is public (for now, although I’m unsure if I can change it), know that I will be doing election countdowns like I do on my timeline relating to North Dakota and their governor, now a presidential candidate, Doug Bergum. I plan to use Saturdays to countdown to Election Day in 2024, Thursdays to countdown to the general primary in North Dakota, and Tuesdays to countdown to the presidential primary in North Dakota, which didn’t have a date for it, last I checked. This is because facebook promoted this man’s campaign so you know that my facebook habits are not solely dictated by hatred of Trump.

 

What could get rid of my refusal to get on facebook on Fridays that is so huge that I don’t even schedule updates on Fridays? Well, only two things can at the moment. If Trump were to either die or not be allowed on facebook anymore, I’ll go back to my normal ways. I still have to figure out what to do with my YouTube habits because of them letting Trump back on (more will be discussed in my Elsbeth blog once I make that) and I have more to do with twitter one last time until it is potentially back to what it once was. I may even figure out if there is more of a way to give up facebook during Lent or at least do something with facebook every time it is Lent so that I’m giving up something with it. There’s not too much else to mention, so I will end the post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment